Positive thinking is often dismissed as a soft and fluffy term that has no impact on real life, however many career experts now argue that it can significantly improve how you perform in your career, as well as having a positive impact on numerous other aspects of your life. If you can learn to think positive thoughts then you will unlock your full potential.
Modern research supports that, in comparison to their negative counterparts, those that think positive thoughts have:
- An increased life span
- Lower rates of depression
- More effective coping skills
- A better resistance to the common cold
Being positive will broaden your sense of possibility and allow you to open your mind. This will help you to build new skills while enabling you to think constructively and to visualise the results of what you want to achieve.
In contrast, thinking negatively can stop you fully exploring new opportunities. Negative thinkers are prone to self-limitation, as they focus on what is holding them back, and are therefore unable to overcome these barriers. This is perfectly summarised by business founder, Henry Ford, who stated that “Whether you think you can or whether you think you can’t, you’re right”.
Changing your mindset can take practice but here’s how you can fill your mind with positive thoughts:
1. Start each day on a positive note – this could be a positive thought about yourself or something to get you feeling positive such as listening to your favourite song.
2. Don’t dwell on mistakes – there is no point worrying about what could have been, so stay focused on the present and what today can offer.
3. Don’t take rejections and setbacks personally – use these experiences as lessons for the future.
4. Avoid negative people – negative thinking can be infectious so swerve those dreary people that bring your mood down. Try to surround yourself with positive people who will have a positive influence on your life.
5. Make changes – if you aren’t happy, make a change. You have the power to make yourself happy!
Having a positive mentality is something that everyone can incorporate into their lives every day. If you make the effort to think positive thoughts, then you will feel happier and achieve more.