We all know how stressful it is maintaining the same position in your job, day after day, year after year. Many of us feel that we are ideal material for something better, but time and again, that elusive promotion gets away from us.
If you find yourself in this situation, there’s definitely something you can do about it. We’re going to have a look at a few of the best ways that you can get yourself noticed, and ensure that you find your way out of your low position.
Make Your Ambitions Clear
- Patience is a virtue, but it must have its limits. If the people you work with end up seeing you as a doormat, they’re unlikely to feel like it’s worthwhile pushing you forward. If you don’t make a fuss, they can easily take you for granted. A good way of doing things is to set some kind of ultimatum. For instance, you could point out that you’ve been in your position for twelve months, and another month is the maximum before you feel you have to leave.
- It’s important that your employers understand why you’re there. They may easily take it for granted that you’re more than happy in your position, and simply see your job as a job. If it’s not clear to them that there are certain goals you want to fulfil, they’ll have no reason to consider promoting you. Take any available opportunity to remind them what your goals are, and how you feel you could go about achieving them.
A Consistent Approach Can Win You Fans
- You can’t underestimate the importance of being a good teammate. Many great employees have found themselves passed over for promotion time and time again because management doesn’t think they can work well with others. In today’s employment environment, doing your own thing is nearly always frowned upon. Take the opportunity to demonstrate your cooperative skills at any opportunity, such as a team building exercise or group project.
- It’s something of a cliche, but if you’re the first in and last to leave, you will make an impression. It’s the kind of thing that really gets into the subconscious of those you work with, and will make a real difference. Punctuality and enthusiasm can go a very very long way.
Don’t Let Complacency Hold You Back
- Within reason, you should always try and say yes to anything offered. If people know that they can rely on you to get the job done, they will be keen to show their appreciation. There are limits, and you don’t want to let people walk all over you. But definite enthusiasm will make a real impact on your superiors.
- Carry out basic duties well, and you’ll be able to make a concrete reputation for getting a job done. Many people start slacking off once they become bored in their position. This can easily become a vicious cycle, where the more bored you are, the less you seem like a candidate for promotion. Remind yourself that it’s all temporary, and you should be able to pull through.
These are all simple tips, but when applied, they do make a difference. Try them out, and it won’t be long before people start to notice you. From there, it’s plain sailing to the top.