Best PDF Editors for All Your Needs
PDF editors allow users to perform many different functions on PDF files such as editing, adding text and annotations, or whatever a user requires. The list of free PDF editors is long given how universal the file format is, but each online editor has its set of unique features. Another distinction is that while many online PDF editors are free, some do come at a price, which unlocks several other premium features. The choice of which PDF editor to use is up to what you need it for as many share the same features, but this list consists of those online PDF editors that are most popular based on user reviews and overall quality.
The Most Popular PDF Editing Software
A Quick and Powerful PDF Editor
Lumin PDF is a feature-rich, downloadable application that lets users view, edit and share important PDF documents in many ways. The cloud-based program makes it even easier to share documents through cloud-based storage platforms like Google Drive and Dropbox. Lumin even uses a mobile app to give users greater accessibility to their documents as well as letting them edit and view PDF files on the go. Lumin PDF has several free features like editing and annotating and many available PDF templates, but there are several premium features as well that users can access for a small, monthly fee.
- Changes are automatically saved when made in the Lumin PDF editor
- Sync-up with another user to see real-time changes for easier collaboration
- Wide compatibility across several platforms and devices
- Premium features include unlimited storage, e-signature feature, and OCR text recognition
Easy-to-Use Online PDF Editor
Sejda is an online PDF application that offers several different editing tools both on its site and through a downloadable desktop version. Sejda has a wealth of options available from editing, merging, splitting as well as compressing various files into smaller ones. Converting files is also a hallmark of the Sejda suite as it offers conversion to and from PDFs from various file formats. Sejda does have a free version of their software available but they have premium versions that feature several upgraded features like creating and editing fillable PDFs and expanded access to their desktop and website-based tools.
- Well-designed website layout makes it easy to use
- All features available for free for one-time use
- Strong security protocols to keep all your documents safe
- Compatible with cloud-based storage platforms like Google Drive and Dropbox
Simple and Straightforward PDF Editor
Smallpdf is another web and cloud-based PDF editor that has user-friendly mechanics to access their myriad features. The site has a very easy-to-navigate layout that puts all the site’s central features – 21 different PDF tools in all – upfront. Users can choose from the standard features like editing and merging to move advanced tools like creating fillable PDF forms and compress multiple files. There are also conversion tools that range from several file-formats including JPEGs and Word documents. Smallpdf users can sign up for a free trial to access a limited amount of the site’s tool but several premium plans allow for greater use of the site.
- The cloud-based platform increases accessibility across devices
- A wealth of basic PDF tools as well as specialized features
- Desktop version lets users create documents with a secure signature feature
- Compression features let users save space by making larger files smaller
A Classic PDF Editor Updated With New Features
PDFescape was one of the original PDF editors outside of the Adobe Acrobat suite that let users not only view files but edit and convert them as well. While it came out a while ago, PDFescape has been updated to meet more modern demands like creating fillable PDF forms, adding signatures, as well as compression features. PDFescape is split into two platforms, a web-based application and a downloadable desktop version that expands on the web-based features. Among the classic PDF tools like editing, annotating, and merging, the desktop version lets users add images and other graphics as well as making it possible to password-protect your important documents.
- The free version offers a lot of premium features like creating fillable forms
- Premium versions reasonably priced and come with a wealth of features
- The user-friendly interface makes it easy to perform difficult functions
- The free-hand tool makes adding new text and images effortless